Friday, September 7, 2007

Paper Flowers
















My grandmother introduced me to costume jewelry when I was very young. Ethal Labelle (best name EVER!) sold costume jewelry from her farm house. She had a wonderful display of rings and brooches - the kind of jewelry that makes a little girl excited to grow up and wear it! I have a collection of vintage brooches and my favorites are handmade. The paper flowers I make are inspired by my grandmother and these vintage handmade brooches.


My original idea for these flowers was to use scraps of fabric - I always have pieces of fabric too small for hats. I played around with that idea for awhile and liked the results but was not "blown away"! So I started to play with paper and made a variety of really cool flowers - but they were hard to make durable enough to be used as jewelry. Finally, after probably 2 weeks of trying a variety of materials and flowers, I came up with the flower I make now. These flowers are sewn by hand. Glue would work, but sewing the petals together makes them stronger (and so old fashioned!). I spend lots of time on each brooch and no two are ever the same. I use original vintage papers - 50s magazines, wrapping papers, comics, maps, sheet music...the possiblilies are endless! I have even made these flowers with photographs of my daughter for family members! You can find some of these flowers in my shop on Etsy! Please let me know if you have any questions!

3 comments:

Pretty Fun said...

Those are so beautiful. I know how hard it is to use up all of your fabric.

designsbynana said...

WOW!!!!amazing paper flowers!

Glass Lady said...

You said "I have even made these flowers with photographs of my daughter for family members!" What a great idea I will have to check out your Etsy shop to see if you do custom work...