Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Trashy Treasure



Pillbox Productions Handmade Paper Flowers


Ten years ago I found several 1950s Illustrated Weekly of India magazines in a pile of trash on Cerrillos Road. I was on my bike so I had to strap them on my bike rack and didn't really take a good look until I got home. What a score! Most of them were in pretty bad conditon, but I knew I would eventually find a way to use them. Over the years I have used parts of them for collage and in the last 4 years I have used them for my paper flower brooches. All of the flowers in these photos were made with pages from these magazines. I use several layers of varnish on each flower (after hand sewing the paper into flowers) - so they are very durable!

You can find a variety of these flowers in my shop on Etsy. I am in the process of making these flowers with vintage wrapping papers, comics and maps. Let me know if you have any questions.


8 comments:

Nora said...

Those are so cool, I love finding Treasures like that!

JustAnotherDay said...

awesome! i love vintage finds!

altjoujou said...

They're GREAT! I'm so glad someone else likes brooches.
Great score with the magazines. My library was giving away some Smithsonians a while back and I hate to even cut them up for the good stuff. But looking at your work, I'd say it's worth it!
~a.r.treasurefield
treasurefield.blogspot.com

Carol Emma said...

Love Them!

Precious Quilts said...

Very clever idea!

pamela michelle said...

those are super cool!

Glass Lady said...

I love your brooches, and of course I have "hearted" you for Christmas shopping. It's amazing what things you can find along side the road and recycle. Your right It was a great find!

Cathy said...

love your flowers! they look amazing!